The LEGO Group has announced their 2020 Financial performance in a presentation by LEGO CEO Niels B. Christiansen from Billund, Denmark
Here are some of the information shared during the session.
- 2020 Consumer sales grew 21 percent for the full year vs 2019. (compared to global toy market growth of 10% according to NPD 12).
- 2020 Revenue grew 13 percent to DKK 43.7 billion vs 2019.
- 2020 Operating profit grew 19 percent to DKK 12.9 billion vs 2019.
- 2020 Net profit grew 19 percent to DKK 9.9 billion vs 2019.
Physical stores are still a main draw:
- Store expansion in 2020 : 134 new stores, 91 in China; bringing total to 678 stores. Target for 2021 : 120 new stores, 80 in China
- Prior investments on e-commerce has also helped maintain profitability in a globally challenging year
- Trials on paper bags to replace single use plastic bags
- On track for 100% sustainable packaging by 2025, maybe earlier.
- Investment of 400 million in sustainability initiatives over the next 3 years
- LEGO Super Mario is the best launch of a theme ever
- Top 1 set in 2020 is the LEGO Super Mario Starter Pack
- Partnership with Nintendo to continue in 2021 with the release of even more LEGO Super Mario sets.
- In response to question by Zusammengebaut: Adult focused and Kid focused sets are important parts of the product portfolio to capture the variety of passion points in the market
- Top themes in 2020 in no particular order
LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Harry Potter
- Global Stay at Home scenarios did contribute to growth but challenges included enforced temporary closures of manufacturing plants in China & Mexico
The press release in full is provided below.